Sunday, December 03, 2006

Marathon: 1st of 15 parts

'Nicole' and system of (in)justice in the Philippines; Foreigners in the country

'Nicole' is the rape victim in the recent constraint in the century-old relation between the Philippines and the United States of America. She's a Filipino. Raped by US servicemen. More than 1 year has elapsed since the event occurred at press time.

Tomorrow, the judgment will be at hand. And from the looks of it, I have a strong feeling that the perpetuators will be adjudged innocent. Just because they are American citizens and the victim was Filipino. As history tells us, the Philippines was a US colony from about 1899-1946. Filipino politicians who advanced their career, most notably Philippine presidents, all supported American interests in this country. This makes American rape in and of the Philippines not new. On as for our side, we, more accurately our forefathers, allowed the rapings to occur. We have shown little sympathy to our countrymen, women, elders, and children. And what did we get in return? Money? Military weapons and ammunition? What most of us don't realize is most of that money came from our land. What do I have to support this claim? As far back as the period wherein we were a slave of the US empire, they freely took raw materials, our natural resources to feed the needs of their vast army and to cater to the taste of their people. And during the time of US imperialism (from the time of Philippine Independence of 1946-present), they cheaply get resources from us for their surplus products which are theoretically as good as waste. When we get everything that they took from us, include reasonable interest with it, then truth comes out: they do not donate anything which is really theirs, it all came from us! This means that what they are using against us is from us. You should see the vicious cycle here. What will become of our children and of the next generations of Filipinos? Drones? Slaves? For sure I do not want that to happen, but I do not know of your opinion.

Raul Gonzales is the current Secretary of the Department of Injustice. This is another fact that makes me feel that the impending decision will go in favor of the Amboys. He may be intelligent but he talks a lot of trash in the mass media, wasting all of our precious time, listening to a 'wise' man. I think if he ever had the balls to do it, which I am sure he has little of it, that he would sell out the case in favor of the Americans, for their 'grants' and 'kindness'. He is more interested in keeping the status of our relations with the offsprings of the sun. It is in this philosophy that I strongly disagree. What is the sense of development if in the process we will have stepped upon our own people, of our own blood and culture, of our own soul? If he insists on it, then I think he should not remain an official of the Republic of the Philippines because all he does is of disservice to the Filipino people.

Foreigners in the Philippines do not seem to be foreigners at all. First, they are more Filipino than most true Filipinos. They can afford to live relatively more comfortable and affluent lives. Filipinos treat foreigners better than their countrymen. I hate the colonial mentality of Filipinos even if I have thoughts of such myself. The Americans are here to exploit, make money, and then leave. They are just testing their patience with the dilapidated surroundings. This makes the Chinese a little better than them. They have long been here, engaged in trade, done this, done that. My teacher in high school told us in our Economics class that they served as the oil of the Philippine economy during the Spanish rule. Virtually all of the trade goods from Manila to Acapulco are Chinese. 'You have to give them credit.' I did not inquire about that. That is how much I believe in and respect my instructor. He, along with my high grades of course, made me love Economics. As with all of the other nationalities, they are all the same. Look at the Indians--they are here for 5-6.

As I am going take Medicine right after college just about to any medical school which accepts me and which my family can afford. I have plans of working in the US just to earn more. But if ever I don't make it, I would not take it against myself. I'll think of it as a bonus.

Update: Daniel Smith was convicted. The 3 others were acquitted.

No comments: