Monday, December 04, 2006

Marathon: 6th of 15 parts

Mensa; Missed chances to rake-in awards in college; Destiny: physician

Simply put, Mensa is an international organization of the extremely mentally-gifted. Membership is exclusive to those who have an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of at least 135. I want to join it and I think I have what it takes to be a member. I'll try taking their test in 2 months time. If not, then it would probably be during the vacation (after graduation)!

I was a fool not to study with my best ability during these college years. I was university scholar once and college scholar twice. If only the awards came in much earlier than the middle of the second semester of my freshman year, then I would have definitely strived better, worked my ass off more to land it farther. There were many distractions and I would not mention them here for the fear of hurting people, both around and far from me.

People say, parents and instructors alike, that a BS Biology graduate would have no other option besides taking Medicine. I do not believe them. Even so, I have a hint that true enough; career options for the graduates are limited. Why do I say destined? We'll, I really have no interest in Biology and yet I believed my mother. I placed BS Biology as my first choice in the UPCAT form. I resented it. I have had thoughts of shifting to other courses which are far from the natural sciences. I was much more comfortable with mathematics and the social sciences. Biology was my waterloo in high school and even way back in primary school. Years passed and I could say that whether I liked it or not, I was committing myself to becoming a biologist. See my mistake here? I did not fight for what I wanted. I just said yes to what they wanted me to become, not considering my feelings. It was late when I was able to make them realize that I hate biology, or at least I was not good in it. For sure, I would not shine in that course. So why did I hate biology?
1. Memorization.
2. Memorization.
3. Memorization.
4. Looks like there's no point.
5. Common sense usually does not work here.
6. It's very hard to get the correct answers by not studying (plain guesswork). I must have been very lucky to reach this far.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to Medicine. I hope it will not be as boring as Biology.

No comments: